Saturday, September 19, 2009

As you get older

This quote from the movie "Brick Lane" really hit home for me.

"As you get older you don't need everything to be possible anymore you just need some things to be certain."

I remember when a world full of possibilities was exhilarating. I wondered where I would live, what I would do, who I would share my life with, etc. As each of those questions are answered, those endless possibilities, through a combination of choice and kismet, converge into one certainty. This does not mean you are forever bound to that certainty, for it is you who chooses to continuously commit to your choice.(Well, other than those few choices you can't decide to uncommit to, like jumping out of a plane, etc.) But, by committing to one, you choose to end the era of endless possibilities. You exchange infinite possibilities for the certainty of your choosing. After all, the allure of boundless possibilities is inherently in the promise they possess for the one true thing you are in search of.

Now, it's not that possibilities are no longer exciting, but it's true I need somethings to be solid.

No comments: